Thursday 25 August 2011

Some Summer Gardens

Sissinghurst 

 
Since this is a blog about places I’ve been, I make no apologies for including some nice pictures of various gardens that I’ve visited in recent weeks.
Nymans 

First up, Nymans in Sussex. I was very impressed by this National Trust garden. It had a Sissinghurst feel in places, but with a very family-oriented atmosphere, reflecting the original wishes of the Messel family. This time of year the garden is a riot of colour and scent. Yet it is also an exemplar of eco-friendly gardening. As gardener Ed Iken explained, the bed in the picture above has only been watered twice this year.

It was good to see the distinctive Nymans branding too – perhaps something that could be taken up at other NT gardens. 

Another NT garden I’ve visited recently is Kingston Lacy in Dorset. There was lots going on in the gardens here, and an emphasis on explaining to visitors what can be seen. Great fun – and I always seem to find something new every time I visit this property. 

Information at Kingston Lacy, Dorset
 The garden I visit most regularly (since it is just down the road) is Audley End in Essex, a brilliantly run English Heritage property. The walled garden was looking particularly stunning this August, brimming with many different varieties of apples, pears and other fruits and vegetables. Tasty. It’s managed by the experts at Garden Organic, and is well worth a trip.

Audley End, Essex


No comments:

Post a Comment